Monday, February 13, 2006

Doc visit went well

well i made it thru my doctor's appointment. only thing is the lady doc i was supposed to see is going to be leaving from what i learned of the male doc who saw me today. no matter. i gave him my list of symptoms, pains and whatnot and i think he was impressed that i had some medical knowledge because i used to work there.

he upped my BP meds because my pressure was ugly high - 160/200, and of course he told me i gotta lose weight because he said that was a factor of my knees being shot to shit (he didnt say it like that LOL). he measured my height and weight - i'm 5 feet 1 inches short LOL; but when he told me my weight i nearly fainted - i weigh 276 pounds - damn, i knew i had put on weight but good God, i didnt know exactly how much! so i'm short and fat. aint nuttin' new. i aint never been a size 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12; mostly 14 from teenager until i had my first child, then it went downhill from there; after the second child, it REALLY went downhill with the quickness.

but, he was nice about it and i go back to the clinic on the 23rd for more bloodwork, including thyroid function, an ultrasound to see if i have fibroids which make me bleed buckets every freakin' month; and another X-ray of my right knee, and probably an MRI too. so they are gonna give me a THOROUGH workup. including *sigh* helping me to quit smoking. with the gum - YUCK. i remember when i was first hospitalized the nurse slapped a patch on me, which later broke me out in a hideous rash, and then she gave me the gum *yucccccccccccccck* i nearly puked chewing that shit. the doc wrote a script for the gum, and added "give patient gum that tastes good" ROFL -- this is gonna be interesting to say the least.

i had made sure i'd listed all my psych meds and he was nice enough to offer to refill em if i needed, but since i just refilled them, i politely told him i was good with those. i go online and refill them at Walgreen's website. they e-mail me when my meds are ready for pickup and all i have to do is get on the bus and ride up there and if i have no copay, just pick 'em up and go.

he also wrote me a script for a generic version of Zantac, because i've been having reflux-like episodes that seem to happen in the middle of the night, and sometimes make me hurl. the BP meds are the same but at a higher dosage. i'm gonna get my mammo and Pap too. so i'm covering all the bases. it's been a long time since i had a thorough physical -- my old doc would just breeze in, check my vitals, and ask if a need refills of my BP meds. plus i had to make a $2 copay. so that's why i chose the hospital clinic. if i need tests done, i'm already there and dont have to have a referral and NO CO-PAY. Medicaid covers pretty much everything. so i have my medical doctor and T and P-doc all in one place.

and speaking of P-doc and T, i see them back-to-back this coming Friday. my medical doc is aware of my mental illnesses too.

anyway, that's the 4-1-1 on the doctor visit today. i am truly pooped and i think i'm gonna lie down for a while. it's been a long day. i've already taken two of my 800mg ibuprofen tabs to dull this throbbing pain in my right knee, cuz i've been on it all day and i've had to put all my weight on the left leg, and it's starting to cry in pain too. did i mention the doc wants to do a neuro check to see why i'm having this pins-and-needles numbness in my hands? no? well, consider it mentioned LOL

damn. it's literally taken me 47 years to finally see about my physical health. but i suppose better late than never. i've been so busy trying to maintain my sanity that i've completely neglected my body's health. oh well. i made a start today, so i suppose that counts for something, huh?

9 comments:

mrshellonheels said...

Yes, better late than never. Take care of yourself. I want you around for a long long long time!!!

mizeeyore said...

MrsHOH: awwwwww ty! you're a sweety! ((((((((((MrsHOH))))))))))))

Joel said...

mize, holy fuck! You weigh nearly as much as I do and I am 6'4"!

dear dear dear.

It can be a bear to pull out of the wallow. When I get some good "go on a diet when in depression" techniques, I'll share them with you.

In the meantime, don't lose faith in yourself. Part of this is circumstances beyond your control, namely the meds. But you also have to mind your self-esteem. When I get to letting the cognitive demons instruct me on my worthlessness, I stop doing the things I need to do for my health.

Remember that you are hearing this from a guy who has had 18 root canals and $36,000 of dental work, so he's not one to brag about how he managed his health. But he does know that change is possible, even if it comes slow and hard sometimes.

There's a fighter in you. Let her run health matters for a time.

jane said...

It's great you're getting on with your health. Are you diabetic? That may have something to do w/the hand condition. Tarzan has the same thing in the middle of the night, he wakes up choking & sometimes throws up.
You surely sound like you are on the right road & I'm overweight too. So we gotta start somewhere, right? When you blow it, remember you are 1 meal away from being back on track. :)
I'm proud of ya lady

Unknown said...

*hUGz* Good for you. Hey girl, I read your post on my blog... no... I'm not upset with you. My blog design is kind of weird. If you have come to my website from one of my links - or if you have visited a link that is there - it crosses it out automatically.

I'm sorry you thought I was angry or something. I'm not. I'm just tryin' to figure out my new design. I could never be mad at you!!!

***once again *HuGz* ***

mizeeyore said...

Joel: yes, you're right. the size i am doesnt matter with me, as long as i'm fairly healthy.

YIKES!!!! 18 root canals???? ouch. i commend YOU for being a brave soul to endure all of that!

i've always been a pretty tough woman and i appreciate you giving me the confidence and the determination to keep the fire burning. thank you, my friend.(((((((((((Joel))))))))))))

Jane: aww, thanks sweety. i dont know if i am diabetic, that's why when i go back the doc is gonna have my blood drawn and lots of tests done to see about that. thank you for your encouraging words too ((((((((((((Jane)))))))))))))
btw, i can still link to you - when i click on your name it automatically redirects me to the home page.

Colleen: *whew* i'm so glad to know that! i love the colors that you have on your blog...very Feng Shui-like, very calming. Hugs backatcha girl! ((((((((((((Colleen)))))))))

Maggs said...

gurl, we are close in body type. if i could see size 14 again i'd be happy

Miss Defective said...

Wow...I didn't know blood pressure could get up that high. Glad you got yourself checked out and on some meds. Hope all the other tests go ok for you.

I bought two packs of smokes today, which I think will probably be my last. I just don't enjoy nicotine anymore. I'll quit cold turkey though, that gum is nasty!

Hugs,
Sid

mizeeyore said...

Maggs: you and me both!

Sid: aww thanks hon. i agree that gum is nasty! yuck! thank you for your encouraging words - they mean a lot (((((((((((((Sid)))))))))))))))