Thursday, December 01, 2005

pissed off to high pissivity

Nicole (Bipolar Princess) just sent me an email not too long ago saying that Public Aid (or Medicaid) will not be covering Seroquel because they feel it's not "medically necessary."

are they insane? not medically necessary? WTF? Seroquel is prescribed to many many people with varying mental illnesses, from bipolar, depression w/psychotic features, schizophrenia, schizoaffective disorder, and to me, is an excellent drug. yes it has it's negatives, i.e., weight gain, sugar or carb cravings and sometimes a touch of CRS (cant remember shit) lol, but overall, it is an excellent mood stabilizer and antipsychotic.

i guess those idiots in Illinois government havent been around a person who is say, schizophrenic and have not taken their meds, or for whatever reason, quit taking their meds. now, i'm not picking on anyone who has schizophrenia, but unfortunately they are the ones who are always portrayed on TV as wild-eyed, dirty, disheveled and sometimes violent lunatics who go around mindlessly stabbing people or worse, babbling, drooling lunatics, which we know in real life, is not necessarily true, though unfortunately there are some mentally ill people who are like what is portrayed on TV, but more often than not they are in the minority.

for Medicaid to not cover this drug because THEY feel that it isnt "medically necessary" should perhaps pay a visit to the state-run psychiatric hospitals where some of the patients who STOPPED TAKING THEIR MEDS are, and observe how they interact; or pay a visit to a hospital psych unit and observe how those patients interact (or not) with each other when they, too, decided to NOT TAKE THEIR MEDS anymore and have to be put back on them because they relapsed into the psychotic behavior because of being either non-med compliant, or because they used street drugs in addition to the prescribed meds and now they are all out of order.

i'd like to know who the fuck it was that deemed Seroquel isnt "medically necessary". my God, this particular medication for those of us who take it, is the one thing that keeps us from the brink of insanity. sure there are other antipsychotic/mood stabilizers that probably are as good as Seroquel, but for those of us who take it and it helps us, this crap from Medicaid is pure BULLSHIT.

my suggestion to those of y'all who take Seroquel, and see a pdoc on the regular, perhaps you can ask him/her for samples of Seroquel- that's how i've been keeping up with it, bcuz my pdoc gives me enough samples to last until i see him again. most pdocs will give you samples, but in the event yours wont or dont, go to www.seroquel.com where the makers of Seroquel, AstraZeneca offers a program for people who have no insurance and who cant afford their meds, or, in this instance now, where Medicaid wont cover it.

i'm almost afraid to ask what other much needed meds wont be covered anymore thru Medicaid. for those of y'all who also have physical ailments, such as hypertension, diabetes, arthritis, etc, be forewarned. if Medicaid feels Seroquel is not "medically necessary" God only knows what they may say about certain meds for the aforementioned physical illnesses.

in the words of the late Marvin Gaye, all of this "makes me wanna holla and throw up both my hands."

Medicaid can kiss my ass. Fuckers.

10 comments:

Sandi K said...

Girl, I have a sample box of it right here. I think that perhaps we should start a campaign... Find someone to make a documentary on it. There is always someone looking for a cause to help.. THIS Is a big one. Maybe we should band together... (Crazies Unite RIGHT?)
and had a Million Mental March on Washington. That will show the bastards..

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

How amazingly STUPID and IGNORANT for them to not cover Seroquel!! It is the best defense against psychotic symptoms. My diagnosis includes schizophrenic symptoms and I know that Seroquel has keep me somewhat sane, out of the streets and alive!! I also take the AP Risperdal but it doesn't come close to Seroquel.

Oh yeah, also...did you get that email from me where I sent the picture of that African Mask painting I did?

Joel said...

December 10 is International Human Rights Day and the World Health Organization is putting its focus on the Rights of the Mentally Ill.

I grieve for you. This is bone-headed in the extreme. I don't take Seroquel nor am I on Medicare, but people in my support group feel terrified about the prospects of their lives being disrupted as they undergo yet another med change because of the new Medicare requirements.

I wonder if the makers of Seroquel just didn't make a large enough campaign donation to you know who.

Unknown said...

That's terrible, sounds like cost cutting BS to me. Hopefully people will make a big enough case for a reversal.

I bet someone is already starting up illegal Seroquel labs...But I would be wary of trying to get it half price on the streets--It will probably be tainted with Crack, and cause worse issues...

mizeeyore said...

MsP: i'm with you girl. i think it's time we raised hell about this shit!

J: yes i did get the email of the mask painting and it is absolutely beautiful! thank you so much!

i agree with you..it is STUPID and IGNORANT for the government and its minions to fuck with medications that are keeping some sense of sanity amongst us. they suck!

joel: welcome and thanks for your post. it is a bonehead idea and i would not be surprised if they made a hefty donation to u know who too.

Vince: yep, smells like BS to me too.

Anelize: you are indeed blessed to have good insurance and not have to worry about getting your meds. however, my heart goes out to those poor old people who depend on Zyprexa, Lexapro and Cymbalta to help in easing their symptoms because of state governmental interference.

i guess next the government is gonna start involuntarily committing severe/mildly severe mentally ill patients in state hospitals as a "cost-cutting" maneuver.

can you say "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest"?

thank you all for your comments.

Unknown said...

I got free meds at Seroquel.com. Great company! If it wasn't for Seroquel I might not be sitting here writing this!

BTW... Love your "Free to write what I want" attitude!

Big Scott

http://bigscottk.blogspot.com/

mizeeyore said...

Big: Welcome to my insanity LOL i hope you keep coming!

Joel said...

Abilify is also not on the list, I should note.

dissok said...

Not medically necessary! Geez, what are these guys thinking? What a load of crap!

I take Seroquel too. I'm only on a really low dose though (300mg). I'm not sure what else it does for me, but it seems to be the only drug I can take to help me sleep without dissociating my head off.

Down here in Aussie Land, Seroquel is only recognised for use with people who have schizophrenia. If you don't have schizophrenia then it is as expensive as all hell (a box of 90 100mg tablets costs just under $300!) Thankfully my pdoc has swung it somehow that I only pay the PBS price of around $30 a box.

Anyway, I'm rambling. It sounds like Medicaid needs a good swift kick up the rear.

Joel said...

You know, after what I have seen done to my friends in the name of "cost efficiency", it's cold comfort to say "At least I didn't vote for Bush."

Yeah, but the bastard stole two elections in a row and he's got the power to do what he wants.